Written by Maggie
Oct 29 2021
Rhododendron simsii is an evergreen shrub, also known as azalea. Rhododendron simsii generally bloom in late winter and spring with 2-6 flowers in each cluster. The corolla is funnel-shaped and the flower colors vary from red, light red, apricot red, snow green, white and so on. Rhododendron simsii plants are born under sparse shrub or pine forest at an altitude of 500-1200 (-2500) meters. They prefer acidic soil and do not grow well or even do not grow in calcareous soil. So soil scientists often use Rhododendron simsii as an indicator crop for acidic soils. Rhododendron simsii are fond of cool, humid and ventilated semi-shade environment, and are afraid of both heat and cold. The optimum temperature for growth is 12℃ to 25℃. When the temperature exceeds 35℃ in summer, the new shoots and leaves grow slowly and are in a semi-dormancy state. Avoid sun exposure, and they are suitable for growing under scattering light. In winter, measures should be taken to protect outdoor Rhododendron simsii from cold to ensure its safety over winter.
|Common name||Indoor azalea|
|Botanical/Scientific name||Rhododendron simsii|
|Plant Type||Evergreen; annual|
|Bloom Time||Winter, Spring, Summer; Blooms repeatedly|
|Flower Color||Red,pink,white, etc|
|Soil||Acidic, moist well-drained Soil|
|Toxicity||Parts of plant are poisonous if ingested|
In winter, you can choose to grow Rhododendron Simsii plant indoors, but it is best to place it in a place that can accept astigmatism and has good ventilation. Except for other seasons in winter, try to place them outdoors for breeding, and the breeding environment should be as spacious as possible and have the effect of shading.
Choose acidic soils with good drainage and good air permeability to grow Rhododendron Simsii. Do not choose more viscous or alkaline soils. Some varieties of Rhododendron Simsii Planch. are only suitable for mountain soils.
There are generally two types of flower pots to choose from, such as purple clay pots and mud pots. The flower pots made of this material have better air permeability and drainage, so Rhododendron Simsii Planch.
It is best if rainwater can be used for watering. We can also choose water from ponds or rivers for watering. For indoor farming, you usually choose tap water. You can let the tap water stand for an hour or two to release the chlorine in the water, and then give it to Rhododendron simsii Planch. Watering the plants. Watering is basically every seven to ten days during the growth period.
The rhododendron simsii planch plant is a beautiful plant. Fertilizing is essential because the root system of the Rhododendron Simsii Planch plant is longer. Therefore, when applying fertilizer, liquid fertilizer with relatively low concentration should be selected, which can be applied every half a month to satisfy the development of Rhododendron Simsii Planch.
Rhododendron Simsii Planch is not very fond of light, and it is more suitable to develop in the center with shade. In spring and autumn, the light is not very harsh, and the Rhododendron Simsii Planch can survive.In case of strong light in summer, continuous shading is necessary to avoid sunburn of Rhododendron Simsii Planch. Even a long time without light will affect the development of Rhododendron Simsii Planch. Generally, the cultivation of Rhododendron Simsii Planch can be done in the middle of semi-light.
Botanists have discovered that the best growth temperature of Rhododendron Simsii Planch is 12~25℃. In summer, it is necessary to move Rhododendron Simsii Planch to the cool and windy center.And to the cold winter, should enhance the light and warmth, perhaps according to the warm indoor winter.
If the Rhododendron Simsii Planch is properly maintained, it is easy to show the scene of bursting the basin. Continuous trimming of Rhododendron Simsii Planch is necessary for the luxurant foliage of Rhododendron Simsii Planch.In this way, the shape of Rhododendron Simsii Planch can be continuously defaced, and the ventilation management of Rhododendron Simsii Planch can also be enhanced.
In the process of growing and caring for Rhododendron Simsii Planch, if the maintenance is not proper, it may be the season of pests and diseases, and the occurrence of pests and diseases in Rhododendron Simsii Planch is not unusual. Rhododendron Simsii Planch is more prone to chlorosis than others. Brown spot disease, root rot disease, and beneficial insect is to present red spider, aphid to wait easily, need to know to be which kind of disease and insect pest only, simply choose reagents to have a target to be able!
(1) Cutting time: according to the planting variety to choose a reasonable cutting time.
(2) Cuttage method: select the current year of not completely lignified branches or just lignified not long ago. Cut it off, cut off the base of the cutting leaves, the top leaves to retain about 4 pieces, into the water for cutting. Then use humus rich soil about the cutting substrate, keep the cutting surface mouth smooth, it will be inserted around the general. Cuttage after pouring permeable, film mulching to improve the moisture capacity of soil, promote cuttings rooting.
(1) Layering time: the layering of Rhododendron Simsii Planch is mainly carried out at high altitude, usually around Tomb-sweeping Day.
(2) Layering method: choose sturdy branches that are about two years old and free from diseases and insect pests. Next in its specific upper part of the 11 cm or so place ring peel branches, peel off sieve tube, prevent nutrition to continue to transport down, tell nutrition concentrated in the ring peel place, promote the germination of root and bud. Then wrap the wet soil in a plastic bag or film, wrap it around the strip and tie the two ends of the bag tightly.Put it out of direct sunlight and manage it. Keep the soil in the bag moist to help the wound heal and root. At about 3 months, when the roots grow to about 3 cm, they can be separated from the mother plant to form a separate plant.
(1) Grafting time: Grafting reproduction is generally carried out around May each year.
(2) Grafting method: Rhododendron Simsii Planch plants born within two years were selected as rootstock, and the thickness of rootstock was not much different from that of scion. Then cut the young shoots about 4 cm from the mother plant, leaving about 4 leaves at the top, and cut the base of the young shoots into wedges. Then cut it short when the new shoot of the stock has grown to about 3cm, remove the leaves, cut them lengthwise by about 1cm, and then insert the scion to ensure that the cortex is aligned with it. Wrap and bind the joint with grafting film, and then cover the plastic bag for moisture, and put it in a shady place. After about a week or so, if you find water droplets inside the bag, you have a good chance of survival. Remove the bags after 60 days and untie the ropes the following spring.
(1) Seed selection: When the seed color of Rhododendron Simsii Planch gradually turns brown, the top of the fruit is cracked, and the seeds fall out, it should be harvested in time. And there is no cracking can not be retained, put it in a cool and ventilated place for storage, to promote cracking.Remove impurities from the seeds after picking them up.
(2) Sowing time: Sowing is carried out in spring every year.
(3) Sowing method: do a good job of soil disinfection, in the time of sowing to properly mix in fine soil to improve the germination rate of seeds. When sowing, we should pay attention to the seeding density, and then cover a layer of fine soil after sowing, do a good job of management, and improve the germination rate of seeds.