Title

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

Written by Maggie

Feb 25 2021

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

Houseplants perform many beneficial functions in your home, making it more vibrant, beautifying, and cleaning up the air. Such as aloe vera, good to keep, beautiful plant type, and can be edible, and some plants are poisonous if ingested by accident, should of course children and pets go away. Be careful in parks and gardens, too. Some poisonous plants don't have warning labels. The following are 6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

1. Arrowhead plant (Syngonium podophyllum)

Arrowhead plant is common in southern greenery and can be grown in houseplants all over the country. It is small and easy to maintain because of its heart-shaped leaves and makes a good planting gift.

This plant likes a warm and moist environment, the air purification effect is better, its heart leaves have white veins, it is more special.

Note that too much of its juice on the skin is easy to pruritus, eating it easily causes stomach discomfort, excessive vomiting. Arrowhead plant is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Arrowhead plant is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

2. Peace lily

Peace Lily is one of the more common houseplants, and with its Buddha-like flowers, it is tolerant of shade and drought, and is very popular.Its air purification effect is very good, harmful toxins to the air can also be effectively removed.

It's no wonder it's so popular with its bright leaves, perennial verdant, distinctive white flowers, and good-looking plant shape.

Be aware that swallowing can lead to swelling of the lips, difficulty speaking, swallowing, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting and, in severe cases, renal failure. Peace Lily is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Peace lily is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

3. Dumb canes (Dieffenbachia)

This plant is known as "dumb root", so it is important to pay special attention to the plant, which contains oxalate crystals, evergreen with thick fleshy leaves.

If you eat Flower leaf evergreen by mistake, it will cause throat paralysis, swelling, throat burning feeling, involuntary drooling. Dumb canes are one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets. 

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Dumb canes are one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

4. Oleander

Known as one of the deadliest ornamental plants, the oleander may seem vulnerable and innocent, but it is so toxic that even ingestion of honey made from the nectar of the flower can cause mild symptoms.

The leaves and stems of oleander are the most toxic. Do not allow children to pick up oleander leaves and stay away from oleander. If ingested by mistake, children will be seriously affected. Pets can vomit and get cold limbs if they eat it. Oleander is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Oleander is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

5. Heart of Jesus (Caladium)

The Heart of Jesus is very decorative because of its colorful leaves, a variety of leaf colors (usually red, pink, and white), and delicate veins that are toxic at first sight. It is popular for indoor yards and potted plants.

The whole plant is poisonous, if eaten by mistake, it will cause mouth swelling, throat and stone numbness, severe breathing difficulties, excessive will cause the obstruction of the respiratory tract, and can lead to death. Heart of Jesus is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Heart of Jesus is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets

6. Lily

Many lilies, like this Asian lily, are poisonous to cats. It has an elegant plant form, very showy flowers, fragrant flowers, and is not suitable for indoor, suitable for a balcony or small yard.

Not all varieties of lilies are poisonous, and its toxicity is mainly to cats, not so much to humans.If you're not sure what type of lily you have, be careful and keep it outside.

People who ingest lily flowers can experience stomach upset, vomiting, headaches and blurred vision.The cat will cause vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, serious liver failure, and can lead to the cat death. Lily is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets.

6 indoor plants dangerous to children & pets
Lily is one of the indoor plants dangerous to children & pets