Written by Maggie
Jan 21 2021
Forget-me-nots is a kind of light-loving and drought-tolerant plant, which is widely distributed in the world. The appearance of forget-me-nots is very attractive, the blue flowers are very special, so it sells very well in the market. How to grow and care for Forget-me-nots? Let's look together.
Forget-me-nots are usually grown from October to January, when the temperature is warm and humid, and the seeds can germinate and survive. They can also be sown in the autumn and grow and bloom the following spring.
Choose full, mature and disease-free seeds, and soak them in clear water for about 6 hours, or put them in gibberellin aqueous solution for 30-40 minutes, then wrap them with wet cloth and put them in a cool place.
Forget-Me-Nots prefers loose, fertile, alkaline soil with good air permeability and drainage. We can choose sandy soil as culture soil, and add the right amount of ripe organic fertilizer as base fertilizer, put in the sun 1-2 days of exposure to sterilization reserve.
Sow the seeds on top of the soil, 30-40 cm apart, sprinkle a thin layer of soil over them, and keep in a cool place for maintenance.
After growing the seeds, it is necessary to regularly spray moisture to promote the substrate to keep moist and suitable for seed germination and growth. Temperature control at 20℃-25℃, generally 15 days or so can germinate to survive. After sowing, appropriate shading, strong light irradiation will affect seed germination. After the seedlings grow 2-3 leaves, they can be placed in a sunny place for conservation, keep the soil slightly dry and don't overwater. After the growth is stable, they can be transplanted to a new pot for cultivation. Water control should be appropriate during the flowering period, and reasonable fertilization should be applied during the growing period to promote plant growth.
1. Substrate care for growing Forget-Me-Nots: Forget-Me-Nots does not have high requirements for soil, but loose and breathable sandy loam with deep soil layer is preferred. Before colonization, adjust the pH of the soil to make it slightly alkaline. The amount of basal fertilizer accounted for 70% of the total amount of fertilizer. The base fertilizer can use the slow - acting compound fertilizer and the mature organic fertilizer, after applying evenly into the soil. Cultivation, leveling to do the bed, bed height about 20 cm. Plant row spacing was 30 cm ×40 cm. Seedling planting should not be too deep, planting depth to root and soil surface flush is appropriate, after transplanting timely pouring permeable.
2. Fertilizer and water care for growing Forget-Me-Nots: When the seedlings grow alive and start to grow, top fertilizing should be carried out with irrigation every 10 days, and 200 mg/L nitrogen fertilizer and 100 mg/L potassium fertilizer mixture should be added in the water for fertilization. Keep the soil moist during the seedling period, pay attention to often plow weeding, promote the robust development of the root system of the seedling. About 2 months after the seedling planting, begin to pull out the flowering branches. When entering the flowering period, water and fertilizer should be sufficient, otherwise short branches, flowers are not luxuriant.Nitrogen and potassium mixture of 200 mg/L can be added to the irrigation water and fertilized every 10 days or so. In order to improve the yield and quality of forget-me-nots cut flowers, in addition to topdressing liquid fertilizer, the mixture of 0.10% potassium dihydrogen phosphate and 0.10% boric acid should be used for foliar spraying at flowering stage.
Temperature care for growing Forget-Me-Nots: forget-me-nots like a cool environment, afraid of high temperature. When we grow and care for Forget-Me-Nots, it is best to control the ambient temperature at 12 ~ 20℃. Forget-me-nots plants have strong cold resistance, but their flowering is very sensitive to low temperature. Only when the temperature reaches more than 20℃ in the daytime and no less than 10℃ at night, can they grow and blossom.
4. Lighting care for growing Forget-Me-Nots: Forget-Me-Nots can only grow normally under sufficient sunlight. Extracted flowerscapes are few, although lush, if in shade. Therefore, the plants should receive more than 4 hours of sunlight per day. If full sunshine can be guaranteed, growth is better, when insufficient light, need to supplement the light.
5. Flower branch fixation: shaping and pruning to produce high-quality forget-me-nots cut flowers, usually to pull net fixed flowers. Specific approach is to be in the plant before taking out moss, be apart from the ground 20 ~ 30 cm pull a net frame, wait for the plant to grow after flower-scape, again be apart from the ground 45 cm high place cover on the second layer of net. As the flowers grow, lead the flowers into the grid and keep the stalk upright.
When we grow and care for Forget-Me-Nots, it should be treated differently during growth according to the size of the seedling. For the larger plants with basically closed leaves between plants, each plant should keep 4 to 5 flower branches for their growth and flowering. For smaller plants, the flowering branches can be removed to inhibit their temporary non-flowering, so that their plants can fully grow, and lay a foundation for the production of high-quality cut flowers. When the plants are fully grown, they can enter the flowering period.
During this period, it is necessary to regularly remove the newly extracted delicate branches to concentrate the nutrient supply of flowering branches, and improve the ventilation and light transmission conditions inside the plant, reduce the number of blind flowers in the lower part of the plant, and improve the quality of single flower branches. After cutting more than 50% of the flowers, we should start to cultivate the next crop of flowering branches. The practice is to keep a small number of fresh flowers in this period, after the last stubble is cut, the reserved flowers have grown to a certain height, so that the time between the two stubble can be effectively shortened, so that the Fall-Me-Nots can continue to bloom, supply the market.
6. Forget-Me-Nots care for disease and insect control: forget-me-nots diseases include gray mold, powdery mildew, viral diseases, etc. Gray mold can be used 800 ~ 1000 chlorothalonil, methyl tobutin continuous spraying 3 ~ 4 times control. Powdery mildew can be used powder xiuning spraying prevention and control, virus diseases mainly take timely removal of the infected strains burned, spraying insecticide to prevent insect transmission of disease and other measures to control. Scale insects are the most common insect pests of turtleback bamboo. In small amounts, they can be cleaned with an old toothbrush and sprayed with 40% oxidized dimethoate emulsion 1000 times liquid.