Written by Maggie
Jan 27 2021
Annual phlox, also called Phlox drummondii, is a flower that can endure sky-blue silk genera short perennial herbaceous plants, native to eastern North America area. Its characteristic is needle-like leaves, plant small, stem, floor, flowers, pink and white, most large planting, spring blossom like a flower carpet, known as "flower of grass", excellent ornamental effect, and is an ideal alternative to traditional grass varieties. Annual phlox is hardy, now widely cultivated in north China. In the parks, gardens, and streets of North America, Annual phlox can be found everywhere in spring.
Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) is perennial evergreen cold herbaceous flowers of perennial root, the Flower has purple red, white, pink to wait, the old stem is half lignified, the plant is tall 8-10 cm, branches and leaves are dense. Leaves of annual phlox are aciculate, fascicled, leathery, about 1.3 cm long, bright green in spring, dark green in summer and autumn, gray green in winter after frost, leaves and flowers open at the same time. Whenever the flowering season, the flourishing flowers will stem and leaves all cover, the formation of a sea of flowers, 100 Yan contend for Fang, quietly elegant and lovely. Flowers of annual phlox are goblet - shaped, fragrant, 5 petals, inverted heart, with deep notches, the base of the petals has a crimson ring, flower diameter 2 cm. Annual phlox is a unique species in the phlox line. In recent years, Annual phlox has attracted much attention in the landscaping industry. Annual phlox is not only an excellent ground cover flower with high coverage rate and strong ornamental value, but also has the characteristics of simple planting, strong adaptability, drought resistance, cold resistance and salt and alkali resistance in soil.
Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) blooms in spring and fall. The flowers are slightly fragrant, tall cup-shaped, and the colors are deep pink, rose purple, white, light red, and yellow. The Annual phlox is robust and can grow well in many types of soil, but also in slightly dry soils. This breed bud early, leaf and flower synchronously sprout. The requirement of Annual phlox fertilizer is not strict, but in the growth cycle, we should pay attention to the application of basic fertilizer, and add organic fertilizer in the preparation of land, about 500kg to 1000kg per acre. In the growth period, a small amount of nitrogen fertilizer and phosphorus fertilizer were applied appropriately, nitrogen fertilizer was the main fertilizer in the longleaf period, and phosphorus fertilizer could be sprayed in the flowering period.
Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) was originally produced in North America. It was successfully introduced in Japan, and was widely used in environmental protection. Annual phlox received good results and was named Shibazakura.
Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) is extremely hardy to cold, drought, poor ridge and high temperature. When the temperature is 8° below zero, the leaf is still green, and it can overwinter at 32° below zero. In the poor ridge of the sandy land, even if many days without rain, still can live and grow. Annual phlox can also withstand 42 degrees of high temperature.Also can bloom twice a year, each time can open about 40 days. Annual phlox is an excellent substitute for lawn grass.
In summer, attention should be paid to timely trimming, especially after flowering, to cut off the overflowed and irregular branches of Annual phlox. Do not use a lawnmower to push the cut, only use hand scissors for trimming.Weeds found, need to remove manually, do not spray herbicide. During the dry season, Annual phlox is susceptible to red spider damage, which is characterized by yellowness of leaf clusters.
In areas where the cold is too severe, a layer of leaves or branches of Annual phlox can be used to cover seedlings in the field to avoid freezing damage.
The propagation methods of Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) are mainly cuttings and plantings. Select robust Annual phlox, using current year semi-lignified branches, 7 cm to 10 cm in length as cuttings. Cuttage substrate can clean river sand or vermiculite. Plant division propagation can be carried out in spring and autumn. Dig out the seedlings, separate the plants with interwoven roots, and make them form independent seedlings. Plant according to the Annual phlox row spacing of 15 cm to 20 cm, and 2 to 3 plants can be implanted in each hole. After implantation, the soil was tramped firmly, and the root fixing water was watered thoroughly once, and the water was watered again three days later. After about 4 days can be carried out a loose soil conservation, and then into the conventional management.
1. Water should be kept in potted soil with sufficient moisture to keep it moist, but because the leaves of Annual phlox are relatively dense, do not water directly from scratch when watering. Lest the leaf surface water.Maintain good ventilation, rainy season suitable rainfall, but pay attention to timely drainage, so as to avoid the occurrence of diseases and insect pests.
2. During the Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) growth period, pay attention to after picking and pruning, must promptly apply diluted liquid fertilizer, in order to promote the growth of branches and flowers. One thing to be aware of is that too much nitrogen will burn the seedlings. Therefore, attention should be paid to the application of phosphorus and potassium fertilizer, less nitrogen fertilizer.
3. Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) are sunny tyres, so they can be treated with light during their growing period, but can also grow in semi-dark conditions.
4. The temperature. Annual Phlox (Phlox drummondii) does not tolerate higher temperatures. In summer, when the temperature is above 35 degrees Celsius, yellow leaves appear. We should have appropriate shading, do not make direct sunlight, water cooling. Annual Phlox is hardy and can be spent outdoors in winter, but in some areas the winter temperature is so low that it is recommended to move indoors.
5. When the Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) grows to about 15 cm, it should be pruned, pinching off the top to increase branching and control plant height, thus keeping the plant short and shapely. After flowering, prune the remaining stems and flowers as soon as possible, and prune the branches appropriately to ensure that the newly sprouted shoots bloom twice.
Annual Phlox (Phlox drummondii) has many excellent characteristics of perennial root flowers and is used for many purposes in gardens: Annual phlox can be planted on bare ground; Annual phlox can be dotted in the edge of the green belt; Annual phlox can be planted in the interstitial rock; It can be mixed with flowers such as tulip, bluebell and dwarf daylily. It can be planted under big trees to beautify the loess in the open air. Annual phlox can also be planted in the slope section, not only beautifying the slope, but also reducing soil erosion.
In recent years, Annual phlox (Phlox drummondii) has attracted much attention in the landscaping industry. It is an excellent ground cover with high coverage rate and strong ornamental value. Annual phlox can replace the traditional lawn and is a good ground cover plant. Annual Phlox is favored by the masses because of its long flowering period and long green period (330-36o days), especially in the early spring when it blooms like a broomstone and makes people happy. It is most suitable for planting flower beds in the courtyard or planting in the rock garden, with excellent group ornamental effect. Annual phlox can be used as decorative material to decorate the lawn or hanging pot for planting.Used in flower beds, flower borders, ground.