Written by Maggie
Jan 08 2021
Great Bougainvillea, scientific name Bougainvillea spectabilis belongs to the Mirabilaceae family and belongs to the woody vine-like shrub of Great Bougainvillea. Due to its large and beautiful red bracts, Great Bougainvillea is often mistaken for petals. It is also named for its leaf-like shape. The Great Bougainvillea is very beautiful in color. In winter and spring, its very beautiful buds bloom.
Great Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spectabilis) originated in Brazil, South America, and was cultivated in Europe in about the 1830s. It likes the warm, humid and sunny environment, and is not cold resistant. In addition to the southern region of China, it can be cultivated on open ground for winter, and other regions need potted plants and greenhouse cultivation. The most suitable soil is sandy loam with good drainage.
Great Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spectabilis) is a vine shrub. Branches and leaves are densely pilose; The spines are axillary and bent downwards. The leaf-blade is elliptic or ovate, base rounded, stipitate. Inflorescences are axillary or terminal; Bracts are ellipsometer-ovate, base rounded to cordate, 2.5 -- 6.5 cm long, 1.5 -- 4 cm wide, dark red or Lavender red; Perianth tubes are narrowly cylindric, 1.6 -- 2.4 cm long, green, densely pilose, apically 5-6 lobed, lobes spreading, yellow, 3.5 -- 5 mm long; Great Bougainvillea has 8 stamens usually. The ovary is stipitate. The Fruit is 1-1.5 cm long, densely hairy. The flowering period is between winter and spring.
Great Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spectabilis) likes warm and humid climate, not cold-resistant, in 3℃ above can be safe winter, 15℃ above before flowering. Great Bougainvillea likes full light. The soil requirements are not strict. It grows well in well-drained, mineral-rich clayey heavy loam. It is resistant to barren, alkali, drought, water, and pruning. Triangle plum is originally produced in Brazil, South America. It was only spread to Europe and cultivated in China in the 1830s. It likes warm and humid, sunny environment, not cold resistance, in addition to the southern region of China can be open cultivation overwinter, other areas need potted and greenhouse cultivation. The most suitable soil is sandy loam with good drainage.
1. Planting: the south is mostly planted for viewing, and the planting time is spring. The location should be in a place with sufficient light and good drainage to facilitate its growth. North is the basin cut ornamental, on the basin or for the time before spring germination every year, the basin soil selection of leaf rot soil, pastoral, sand, horse dung (rotten) or bone powder, according to the proportion of 2:3:3:2 mixed after the culture soil. Pour water thoroughly after planting.
2. Illumination temperature: Great Bougainvillea is a light-loving plant and should be placed in a sunny place during its growing period. Before the winter frost to move into the greenhouse, the temperature is maintained 10-15℃, placed in the sun, the minimum temperature is not lower than 3℃. Before and after Grain Rain in April, the greenhouse was moved out and placed in a ventilated and sunny place for maintenance. Enter the house before Frost's Descent.
3. Watering and fertilizing: Great Bougainvillea likes water but avoid standing water, and irrigate it once a year after planting or pot and changing pot. During the growing season, water is sprayed once a day in the morning and once a day in the afternoon (irrigated after 4 pm). Spring and autumn can be taken as appropriate 2 days to water 1 time, winter can be controlled in the indoor watering, make the plant fully dormant. Generally do not water. The amount of fertilizer applied also varies with the season. Stop fertilizing in winter. Spring planting or on the basin, change the basin when the application of sufficient base fertilizer, potted out of the house can be applied every month 3-4 times of dicrotic cake fertilizer water or water hoof before the flowering period can be added several times of phosphorus, potash fertilizer. Reduce fertilizer application in autumn. Fertilizing water can be done weekly in summer when growth is vigorous. Great Bougainvillea likes fertilizer. Nitrogen fertilizer should be applied once a week during the growth period and phosphate fertilizer should be added 2-3 times during the flowering period. Lack of water supply in summer or excessive water in winter, easy to cause plant leaves, so watering must be timely and appropriate. Watering after flowering should be reduced.
4. Plastic trimming: Great Bougainvillea has strong growth momentum, so it needs plastic trimming every year, and recutting and updating every 5 years. Time can be carried out in the spring of each year or after the flower, cut the dense branches, dry dead branches, sick and weak branches, cross branches, etc., to promote new branches. Flowering leaves, after falling flowers, should be cleaned up in time. Remove the remaining flowers in time after flowering. The growth period should be time to pick the heart, promote lateral branches, conducive to the formation of Flower buds, promote flowering flourishing. The old plants can be cut short. The Great Bougainvillea has climbing characteristics, so it can be used to tie the shape into a garland, basket, ball and other shapes. When necessary, supports can be set up to make various shapes, such as style.
5. Flowering time control: If you want to see Great Bougainvillea on National Day, you can put the pot in a dark room in advance for shade treatment, because it is a short-day flower. Around the beginning of August, potted Great Bougainvillea plants were placed in a light-free environment, and no light was seen from 5 pm to 8 am on the second day for 50 days. Water was sprayed every day to cool them down. Normal watering, every week increase application phosphorus, potassium liquid fertilizer, or hoof pardon fertilizer. This National Day can be seen in the magnificent Great Bougainvillea.
Great Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spectabilis) is of high ornamental value and is used as a climbing flower cultivation for fences in southern China. Every Spring Festival, green leaves against the bright red piece, as if the peacock, especially bright and dazzling. Northern potted plants, placed in the porch, courtyard and hall population, very eye-catching. The Great Bougainvillea is used by women to wear it on their heads for decoration in their native Brazil. Triangle flowers are used as cut flowers in Europe and America. Great Bougainvillea is traditional Chinese medicine, which has the effect of relieving dysentery and swelling.