Frizzle Sizzle, also called Albuca Spiralis, Corkscrew Albuca, is recently introduced in recent years of small potted ornamental plants. Frizzle Sizzle shape is unique, the bulb of primitive simplicity, blade according to different varieties, or like a spring, or like the water flowing kelp, or like curly hair, or like, wrought iron products. The line is fluent and elegant, abundant in change, design and color is pure and fresh, quietly elegant, suitable for small potted plants, ornament in the place such as window, a few cases, strange and interesting.
Frizzle sizzle picture
Characteristics of Frizzle sizzle
The Frizzle sizzle belongs to the perennial bulbous succulent plant albuca in Hyacinthaceae. The frizzle sizzle (Albuca spiralis) has round or irregular bulbs, which are composed of a layer of hypertrophic fleshy scales. The epidermis of the underground part is yellow-white, while the exposed part of the soil is greenish-white after sun exposure. Fleshy leaves from the top, linear or strip, initially erect growth, later became distorted, is like a spring, the leaves of some species and white burr, pedicel leaf rosette, raceme, drooping flowers, petals positive light yellow, yellow-green, on the back of some varieties have quietly elegant fragrance, flowers generally in sunny when open, closed in the evening, so closed, night and day, open the single flower sustainable open 5 days or so, if encounter rainy day or cultivation environment illumination is insufficient, is harder to flowering and flowering 3 to 4 months.
Habits of Frizzle sizzle
Frizzle sizzle is native to South Africa. Frizzle sizzle likes cool, wet and sunny environments. Frizzle sizzle is afraid of heat and humidity. Frizzle sizzle has the habit of high-temperature dormancy in summer and growing in cold seasons from autumn to spring.
How to Care for Frizzle sizzle
- Habits: Frizzle Sizzle likes cold and is afraid of heat. The temperature should be kept at 10℃ to 20℃ in winter. If control watering makes the plant dormant, not less than 0℃ can be safely overwintered indoors. Mid to late may, with the increase of temperature, the ground leaves of Frizzle sizzle (Albuca spiralis) gradually wither, plant into a dormant state, can keep clear of dry leaves, bulbs to stay in the original basin estivate, flowerpot should be put in dry and ventilated, not stagnant water, wait until the end of summer. As the weather turns cool, sprout, there will be a sprout from the bulb and can slowly go back to normal management. It's worth noting that dormant plants don't have to be watered all summer and can stay slightly moist, even if their leaves are dry. The underground bulbs will still grow. Don't pour water on the dry heart of the leaves of Frizzle sizzle. Over the summer, the bulbs will grow considerably.
- Temperature: not less than 5℃ can be safe wintering.
- Lighting: the Frizzle Sizzle likes light, and sufficient illumination should be given during the growing period. If insufficient illumination makes the leaves thin and weak, and the degree of crimping is poor, it is difficult to highlight the unique charm of the Frizzle Sizzle. And the Frizzle sizzle (Albuca spiralis) leaf that grows in a sunny enough place is low and brawny, circling twist, have taller ornamental value, but after spring still should build sunshade net, in order to avoid scorching sun insolation, prevent leaf tip to dry up.
- Soil: The soil should be kept moist during the Frizzle sizzle growing period. If there is a long-term drought and water shortage, the plants will not die, but the growth will stagnate, and the leaves will turn yellow or even wither. And basin soil long-term water can cause bulb rot. Water can be sprayed on the Frizzle sizzle frequently to increase air humidity and prevent the top of the leaves from drying out. Summer in order to avoid the rainy season flooding, Frizzle sizzle can be placed on the shelf or a certain height of the platform, and pay attention to control watering, in case of water caused by the bulb rot, but also can not let the pot soil completely dry, so as not to dry up the bulb. Apply decaying thin liquid fertilizer or compound fertilizer once a month to provide sufficient nutrients and make plants grow vigorously. After spring flower sprouts, spray 0.5% potassium dihydrogen phosphate solution 2 to 3 times to promote flowering.
- Pollination: After the flowering of the Frizzle Sizzle, different plants should be selected for artificial pollination to make the plants bear fruit. After the seeds are mature, pay attention to harvest them and do not scatter them. If no seeds are left, the remaining pedicels should be cut off in time after flowering to avoid consuming too much nutrients. The basin soil for Frizzle sizzle should be fertile and loose, rich in humus, and have good drainage permeability. It can be mixed with 3 parts of leaf rot soil or peat soil and 2 parts of vermiculite or sand soil, and mixed with a small amount of bone meal. When changing the pot, cut off the rotting root system. When planting, the bulb will be exposed to about 1/3 of the soil surface. After planting, pour water and put it in a sunny place for maintenance. (Read More about Frizzle Sizzle Flower.)
Frizzle Sizzle Propagation
The propagation of Frizzle Sizzle can be done by dividing plants and sowing seeds.
- Frizzle sizzle division: can be combined with the autumn pot change, the method is to break off the bulbine sprouted around the big bulbine, planted in the culture soil, whether root or not can survive.
- Frizzle sizzle sowing: this method is suitable for a large number of reproduction, in the autumn, after sowing with thin soil, covered with glass, in order to keep the soil, air moist, with a higher seedling emergence rate. After sowing and at the seedling stage, in order to avoid the seeds or young seedlings of Frizzle sizzle from the soil when watering, the method of "dyeing irrigation" should be used. Put the flowerpot in the birdbasin, and the water will slowly absorb from the drainage hole at the bottom of the flowerpot and wet the soil.
Disease control of Frizzle sizzle
Few Frizzle Sizzle of plant diseases and insect pests, pest mainly has a snail and soil nematodes harm such as bulb, when planted in soil for high temperature treatment, to kill pests in soil and worm eggs, can also be used in cultivating soil mixed with carbofuran insecticidal, such as pesticides, but as a result of carbofuran as toxic pesticides, and poor degradability, if use undeserved, can cause harm to the environment, so must be careful when using.
The diseases of Frizzle Sizzle mainly include bulb rot caused by long-term water accumulation due to poor soil permeability, and leaf tip drying caused by dry air and long-term soil water shortage, which can be prevented by improving the cultivation environment.
Frizzle Sizzle Uses
The shape of Frizzle Sizzle (Albuca spiralis) is unique. Its leaves are smooth, elegant, varied, elegant and fresh in color. Frizzle sizzle is suitable for small potted plants, decorated in the windowsill, several cases, strange and interesting.
Read Next: Frizzle Sizzle (Albuca Spiralis) Grow & Care Guide