Title

Is Your String of Pearls Toxic to Cats

Written by Ivy

Dec 14 2021

Is Your String of Pearls Toxic to Cats
The toxicity level of String of Pearls is 2 to 4, so string of pearls is toxic to cats. We'd better not let cats eat string of pearls by mistake. Let's take a look at the degree of toxicity.
  • Grade 2 toxicity: Ingestion of string of pearls may cause slight diseases such as vomiting or diarrhea in cats. If your cat swallows a string of pearls, it may cause minor diseases such as vomiting or diarrhea.
  • Grade 4 toxicity: The juice or thorn of string of pearls may cause rash or irritation. Wash affected skin areas with soap and water as soon as possible after contact. The rash can be very severe and painful.

Poisoning symptoms of cat eatting string of pearls

Is Your String of Pearls Toxic to Cats
Cats are unlikely to consume enough String of pearls to produce clinical symptoms associated with liver failure. However, cats exposed to irritants may develop local mild skin irritation or rash, and ingestion may lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, so string of pearls are toxic to cats.

How to prevent the toxicity of string of pearls to cats

Is Your String of Pearls Toxic to Cats
Unless cats consume a large amount of string of pearls for a long time, the risk of hepatotoxicity is very low. However, some cats may be attracted by the novel string of pearls and eat string of pearls by mistake,which we should pay attention when we propagate string of pearls. In this case, we can remove the string of pearls from the house or put it in a room where cats cannot enter. String of pearls usually grows in hanging Flower pots, which makes it more difficult for cats to eat the plant.
Read More:
11 Best String of Succulent Varieties as Hanging Plants

What to do if your pet ate the string of pearls?

Generally, if cats eat a lot of string of pearls by mistake and we found it at home, if it's a little away from the pet hospital, we can consider artificial emesis. The single emetic is to prepare light saltwater. The proportion of saltwater should not be too high. After all, a string of pearls can't eat too salty. If the string of pearls itself has a burden on the kidney, they eat saltwater with large salt content by mistake at this time, Instead, it will increase the burden on the kidney, as long as it has a little salty taste. The premise of this action is to be carried out under the instructions of the doctor.

Safe Green Plant Options

Read More:
String of Pearls Plant: Info, Care & Propagation Guide
How to Save Overwatered String of Pearls Plant
11 Best String of Succulent Varieties as Hanging Plants
How Much Light Does String of Pearls Plant Need 
Tips for String of Pearls Watering
How to Propagate String of Pearls from Cuttings
How Fast Do String of Pearls Grow