Written by Joy
Sep 15 2020
An Amazon Sword Plant is a perennial submerged aquatic grass. An Amazon Sword Plant is a taller aquatic grass, grass height 40-60 cm. An Amazon Sword Plant is a common and popular freshwater aquarium plant which is sold in aquatic plants stores today. Lovers may find that different stores sell various varieties of plants named Amazon Sword Plant because it has a large quantity of kinds in the world. One of the varieties, Echinodorus bleheri has broad leaves, while another variety, Echinodorus amazonicus, owns narrower leaves. But either way, varieties of Amazon Sword plant can be a great addition to a freshwater aquarium. Just be careful that Amazon Sword Plant may be similar plants that look slightly different.
Some things to look for: When purchasing, lovers ought to hunt for Amazon Sword plant whose leaves are long, healthy and green. And you'd better make sure they keep away from holes, cracks or brown spots. Besides, you need to try to find plants that own a great looking and robust root structure and try to avoid plants with dead or dying leaves. If Amazon Sword plant leaves are yellow, brown, or turning unhealthy, it may be a good choice to give up buying such a plant.
(1) Amazon Crown grass, originally from Brazil. Amazon Crown is a perennial tufted herb. With creeping rhizome, plant height is 30~50 cm, leaves are roselette, floating leaves long lanceolate, thick flesh hard, petiole long, submerged leaves long lanceolate, 30~40 cm long, 2~3 cm wide, soft leaves, dark green, small flowers, white.
(2) Echinodorus grandiflorus is native to South America, perennial tufted herbaceous, elliptic leaves, base round or heart-shaped, whole, the main vein is obvious, leathery and hard.
(3) The green crown is also known as dark crown grass, round crown.A perennial tufted herb, native to Brazil.Leaves basal, long elliptic or ovate, apical, 10 -- 15 cm long, 3 -- 8 cm wide, leathery, wavy, dark green, longitudinally veined to the tip, petiolate.
(4) Echinodorus parviflorus is native to South America, a perennial tufted herb. Plant height is 20 cm, floating leaves long and narrow lanceolate, wavy edge, 20~30 cm long, 2.5~3 cm wide, yellow-green, submerged leaves slightly long, soft, thin and curly, translucent, green. Flowerstem up to 70 cm, white flowers, yellow stamen.
(5) Echinodorus tropica is native to South America. Echinodorus tropica is a perennial fascicular herbs, long wide leaves ovate, entire, veins obvious, leaf margin undulate, green.
(6) Echinodorus osiris. Originally from Brazil, perennial fascicular herbs, plant height 30 cm, long elliptic or linear elliptic leaves, yellow-green leaves, veins and vertical obvious, wavy leaf margin, green leaves, with red halo, petiole green.
(7) Echinodorus schlueteri, originally produced in Central America. Echinodorus is a perennial tufted herbs. Leaves ovate, entire, midvein obvious, leaf surface green, with purplish red spots.Among them, the red crown grass varieties, green leaves have red spots.
(8) A mini sword plant is a freshwater aquarium plant often found in pet stores today. Often sold as a Micro Sword, it can also be called Micro Sword Grass, Brazilian Micro Sword, Copragrass, Carpet Grass or Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. A mini sword plant is a foreground plant.
Amazon Sword Plant propagation is mainly by division method, which can be carried out all year round if the water temperature is kept at 20-26℃. The formed plants can draw out long stolons in the axils of the leaves, on which are scattered the crown grass buds, when they reach a height of 6-8 cm, the new roots can be broken off and planted. Since Amazon sword plants are submersible plants, management after division is relatively simple. The new plant that has been divided grows quickly under the condition of scattered sunlight, after half a month or so can be pumped out to give birth to new leaves, and grow up gradually. Seedling can also be raised by tissue culture method.
Use lots of soil. Bottle and soil are very important before planting. The first thing to do is to choose wet soil for a potted Amazon Sword plant. Potted Amazon Sword plants love soil with a lot of water, so you must plant a potted Amazon Sword plant with enough water.
The original pitcher plant grew in the wild and was extremely hardy, so it was highly adaptable to changes in temperature. Summer temperatures can survive below 35 degrees, but in colder winter temperatures, potted Amazon Sword plants begin to go dormant, and watering can be reduced at this time.
Potted Amazon Sword Plant requires high watering requirements. Bottle plant grows in the humid environment of marshes, so water is an important source of nutrients for its growth. In the process of planting potted Amazon Sword Plant artificially, water is an indispensable element.Potted Amazon Sword plants hold a lot of water each summer and digest and consume water quickly, so in addition to daily watering, regular spray is needed to maintain the basic water content of the potted Amazon Sword plant.
If the leaves of Amazon Sword Plant become yellow and the old leaves gradually decay, attention should be paid to timely cleaning and trimming.