Written by Maggie
Jan 28 2021
Baby Sun Rose, scientific name Mesembryanthemum cordifolium, its leaves are thick and green; Baby Sun Rose blooms on the top of the branches, the color is rose red; Flowery period continues from spring to autumn, can appreciate flowers and can view leaves already. It is one of the excellent potted flowers that decorates the sitting room, window sill.
Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is a perennial evergreen vine fleshy herb. Branches are about 20 cm long, (there are longer leaves opposite), fleshy, bright green. Branches have edges and corners, elongate after a semi - porcine shape. The branches of baby sun rose blossom at the top and branch out after the flowers. The Flower is deep rose red, the center is light yellow, the shape is like chrysanthemum, the petal is narrow, has a luster, and from spring to autumn it opens successively.
Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is an evergreen perennial herb. Stems are decumbent, diffuse, 30-60 cm long, branched, slightly fleshy, glabrous, with small granular protuberances. Leaves are opposite, leaves cord-ovate, flattened, 1 -- 2 cm long, ca. 1 cm wide, apically acute or obtuse with a convex tip, base rounded, entire; Petiole of baby sun rose is 3-6 mm long. Flowers are singly terminal or axillary, ca. 1 cm in diam.Pedicels 1.2 cm long; Calyx is 8 mm long, lobes 4,2 large, obconic, 2 small, linear, persistent; Petals of Baby Sun Rose are numerous, reddish-purple, spatulate, ca. 1 cm long;Stamens numerous; Ovary is inferior, 4-loculed, style absent, stigma 4-lobed. Capsule is fleshy, stellate 4-valved;
Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) likes sunshine, suitable for a dry and ventilated environment. Avoid high temperature wet, like good drainage of sandy soil. Baby Sun Rose is not cold resistant, and the suitable temperature for growth is 15 ~ 25 degrees Celsius. Baby Sun Rose does not have high requirements for fat and water. Generally, the growth period of Baby sun rose is from March to September, during which the water demand is large.
After September, the Baby sun rose will enter the slow growth period. At this time, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of watering to prepare for moving indoors for winter.
Baby sun rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is native to southern Africa. Baby Sun Rose is cultivated in China for ornamental use.
1. Extensive management. Baby sun rose maintenance is simple, a year in addition to the mid-summer noon light should be appropriate shade, other times should be given sufficient light, especially in winter.
2. 3-September growth period of water demand is large, to water and spray frequently, in order to increase humidity; Gradually reduce the amount of watering after autumn to improve the Baby sun rose's resistance to cold.
3. Baby sun rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) like half shade environment, such as the place of light is too strong or insufficient, leaves will easily become light green or yellow green, lack of vitality, lose their due ornamental value, or even die of death;Such as direct sunlight, dry air, the most likely to cause scorch, so should be placed in a cool and ventilated place, and pay attention to maintain environmental humidity.
4. Baby sun rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is not easy to occur pests and diseases, but such as basin soil water and poor ventilation, in addition to lead to rotting roots, may also occur root rot, should pay attention to spray control.
5. Place Baby sun rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) in the ventilated position with sufficient scattering light. Because winter is not the growing season of Baby Sun Rose, in order to prevent and control rotting roots, water only when dry, water will be watered thoroughly, depending on the situation!
Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is propagated by cuttings in spring and autumn, which is easy to survive. The propagation of Baby Sun Rose is very simple. Generally, cuttings are adopted: cut off a mature branch, hang it for a moment, and then insert it into the prepared pot soil, put it in a cool and ventilated place, keep the soil slightly moist. After a few days, you can see the branches stand up, which means that new branches have begun to take root.
The function of Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is mainly for viewing. Use Baby Sun Rose as a potted plant or hanging basin to decorate the room.In landscape application, Baby Sun Rose can do the layout of desert landscape.
Baby Sun Rose (Mesembryanthemum cordifolium) is also edible and can be served cold.